Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Finishing Atonement, take two

Funny story- I opened this window like twenty minutes ago, then got distracted. I have no idea what I was going to write. From now on I'm taking notes as I read so that I can have something interesting to say.

SPOILERS. Duh.

So anyway. Atonement. I think I loved it. So what am I so afraid of? I'm afraid that I'm not sure of a love there is no cure for.

What?

Yeah, so. Briony Tallis. I can't say that she's my favorite character of all time (I'm very fond of the plucky heroines of the Why ___s Are Weird books, among others). But she was definitely fascinating to read. I've had a couple days to think about the ending of the book, and I've come to the conclussion that it may have been brilliant. It does piss me off, and that's why it's so good. The two most common emotional responses while reading, for me at least, are laughing and crying. It's nice to have a little anger thrown into the mix. We'll talk more when somebody else has read the book.

No comments: