Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Rum Diary - Thompson

I started this book over the weekend, I'm nearly half-way through.

Hunter S. Thompson wrote Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (which I've read, seen the movie a dozen times--its an excellent representation). The Rum Diary is sort of similar in tone, though slower in pace. Fear and Loathing sort of lurches aimlessly through the drunken, drug-addled haze of nonsense. The Rum Diaries is more of a drunken meandering about Puerto Rico.

Both books have an interesting lack of plot. This one seems more focused on the situation of the other characters in the same bizarre environment as opposed to the influence of the environment on the anti-heroes of Fear and Loathing. Both are filled with purposefully purposeless nomads seeking some sort of elusive fulfillment. Happiness is certainly beyond them, but a vague peace may be attainable.

I love Thompson, I'll let you know how it all finishes out.

No comments: