Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett


Welcome to UBC's 100th post. Half of which are probably posts about Atonement.

I just finished Good Omens, which was one of the books I got for Christmas. It was very good, and funny. However, I think I would have enjoyed it more had I just read straight through, instead of stopping and starting the way I did. I mean, there is no reason it should take me 2+ months to finish a 400 page book. I'm a little embarrased, but there were all these House and SVU marathons that required my attention.

Anyway, the gist of the book is that Armaggedon is upon us, but things aren't exactly going to plan. You see, eleven years ago there was a slight mix-up at a hospital, and the anti-christ was given to the wrong family. Oopsies! The cast of characters in the book is pretty vast, so I'll just mention that my favorite part of the book was the Horsemen of the Apocalypse. War is a fiery redhead (with red eyes to match) who supplies weapons wherever they're needed; Famine sells "diets" to celebutards; Pollution (who took over when Pestilence retired) spends his time in oil-tankers and chemical plants; Death... well, Death doesn't do much except talk in all-caps and dominate trivia games. And they don't ride horses, they ride motorcycles. 

Good Omens made Pajiba's list of the Generation's Best Books, coming in at #4.

Up next: Stori Telling by Tori Spelling. For reals.

No comments: